Saturday, March 7, 2009

Sticky situation

This is one of the few times when having a food allergy works in your favor - not getting salmonella! Since my husband has a known peanut allergy, we have never stocked food with peanuts or peanut-butter. Well, my daughter just recently tested negative for a peanut allergy using peanut butter from a major brand. She actually did well and liked it then, but she doesn't anymore. She says "it's too sticky." I'm glad I didn't buy a variety of snacks with peanut butter, because I probably would have to throw out a lot of food. I subscribe to updates from the FDA and CDC, and I have been getting a swarm of emails everyday about new recalls. Check if what you have is being recalled with this list. Read more about Salmonella here. You can even blog about the recall. My recommendation? Just throw it all out to be safe! It's not worth the diarrhea, fever, and and abdominal cramps, especially if your child has a weakened immune system.

Oh, and don't buy one of those cute little turtles you see in a little plastic container from the street vendors - they harbor salmonella, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment