Saturday, March 20, 2010

Talking Poison to Preschoolers

Today wraps up National Poison Prevention Week, but educating families about poison prevention is a passion that I can and will sport all year round. I love surprising parents and kids about how much some medicines look like candy, how some cleaners look like drinks, and how children can access child-proof items.

Yesterday, I went into my daughter's preschool class of four and five year-olds. I didn't go all out with my props this time, but I did find things around the house to show and tell. These included a bottle of green multi-purpose cleaner, a bottle of water (which I tore off the label and asked if they would still accept my bottle to drink), gummy vitamins, real gummy bears, my daughter's purple fluoride tablets, toothpaste, my orange nasal inhaler, freeze pops with electrolytes and some without, a bar of soap, spray on sunscreen, and a tub of red finger paint. I thought I would only take 10 minutes, but I ended up with a 20-minute presentation. The children were able to tell me what a poison is ("something that makes you sick or die"). I was glad one of them brought up death because I wasn't sure if they were ready for that term. My daughter is familiar with it because we have had quite a few recent deaths in the family, but she has asked us to define the term.

I also made a STOP sign with "Stop! Ask First" and wrote out the Poison Control Center's phone number on a large piece of construction paper. Every time I showed them something that they weren't quick to comment about, I waved the stop sign. The three main points I had wanted to get across to them were: 1) stop and ask a trusted adult first, 2) medicine is not candy, and 3) call 1-800-222-1222 for poison emergencies (yes, someone is available to take calls 24/7). I also emphasized that poisons aren't just harmful when swallowed, but also when touched, smelled, and brought to the eyes. The final activity was teaching them the phone number. Yes! The teachers have taught them how to read numbers (although there are lots of 2's). I always get a kick out of hearing them recite the phone number with me! I'm glad I was able to show the teachers something new: freeze pops with electrolytes. They were still talking about it as we were leaving the school.

Take home packets included an activity book about Lenny Lendahand, brochures about plants being poisonous, general information about the Poison Control Center, a checklist of what to do in case of an accidental poisoning (no more syrup of ipecac, mind you, for ingestions), a game that I created about medicine vs. candy, and telephone stickers with the 1-800 number. These were all free from the CT Poison Control Center. I'm sure you'd be able to get them from your local chapter. Find yours here and make a difference in your child's classroom next time. You don't have to be a health care professional to talk about poisons to children of any age at home or at their schools. Just spread the word that they can be prevented and the phone number.

Here are some links to give you ideas:

No comments:

Post a Comment