Saturday, December 5, 2009

I like to move it, move it

Well, my son is almost 19-months and he still isn't walking. He is one heck of a scoocher, though, and he just started crawling at about 17 months. Although the pediatrician has stated that he will pick up walking at his own pace, I decided to start up once weekly physical therapy for him again through Connecticut's Birth to Three system (early intervention). In a matter of days, he has picked up crawling up stairs on his own. I've also noticed stronger leg strength when he's standing (with support). He's also pulling himself into a standing position more readily. Yesterday, I showed him how to cruise. He can also climb up the steps and put himself into a sliding position on a portable slide that we picked up from a tag sale. This is all great progress within a matter of weeks! It helps that his new physical therapist is more successful in engaging him into activities, whereas our last therapist was not able to connect with him due to his separation anxiety. What have I learned? A little help makes a huge difference sometimes. Also, a little denial can be a setback for major milestones.

No comments:

Post a Comment