Thursday, February 18, 2010

Nose bubbles

My 21-month son had a cold for about 2 weeks. I know my mother-in-law wagged her finger at me (even over the phone) when I told her we didn't visit our pediatrician. I didn't even call him. No, no medications either for his runny nose or cough (I presumed from postnasal drip). Yes, we did have a few rough nights, but I wasn't worried because he was drooling so much. Teething. It really wasn't fun changing his outfits 3-5 times a day. My fingers also became his teething ring. Ah, the joy of parenthood; my shirts also became his snot rags. In any case, I watched the mucus from his nose change from runny and clear to thick and green. He also made big nose bubbles. Still I did not worry, since he never had a fever and his activity level was normal. He even tolerated physical therapy. I did, however, use a bulb syringe to help clear his nose and petroleum jelly to soothe the chafing from all the wiping with tissues.

The bulb syringe we have is one that allows you to run water right through it with its removable flap at the other end. Just rinse with mild soapy water and air dry without worrying whether it's been thoroughly cleaned.

\My son's nose eventually dried up and his cough and drooling stopped, too. Until the next teeth erupt...

No comments:

Post a Comment