Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Mommy and Me - Strep

Of course, while we're worried about my toddler catching the strep, I'm the one who falls. The night my daughter was diagnosed with Scarlet Fever, I felt cold, achy, and my throat bothered me. Maybe it was psychosomatic. Too bad I was feeling the same way the next day. My worst fear is having another ear infection like the one I had last summer. I described it on another blog and thought you might enjoy reading about the events that lead up to my perforated ear drum.

Don’t ask me how it happened. I probably blew my nose too hard and burst the bulging eardrum, or it just happened. I remember feeling this acute, sharp pain in my ear the other night and it kept me up for hours. I couldn’t even blog about it because it hurt so much. I could feel the pressure inside my ear. A couple of red and white pills later [acetaminophen], I felt better. Hours later, I started hearing liquid moving inside my ear [when I was laying on my side]. It was like a bottled up ocean right inside my ear! I also wondered if one of those pests I try to kill every day ended up in my ear and was drowning in my ear fluid. It was not just sloshing, but I could hear bubbling. What I didn’t tell you is that I have had a “cold” for a week and a half. Also, I’ve been told my ear canal is crooked. You heard me, crooked, so essentially it’s like a clogged drain. Great, huh? So even if a visible pest didn’t make it in, the [microscopic] bugs have already started [enjoying] their sauna, mud bath. Anyway, [after taking my antibiotic and using my eardrops] I can hear fine, but there is constant ringing and it feels like there is someone covering my ear all the time. I hope it heals on its own, because otherwise I have to start thinking about where I want to take skin from to patch it up. Hmmm…

No comments:

Post a Comment