Monday, April 20, 2009

But, what about mom?

My blogs have been focused on caring for kids, but I realized last week that I need to take care of myself, too. After being accepted as a new patient, I was allowed to schedule an appointment with an internist. I was only going to ask about my eczema; she was booked for physical exams through 2010. In the end, I got a mini-physical and my blood pressures were 150/90, 156/80, 140/80. My baseline used to be 110/60's and 120/80 during my last pregnancy. Of course, I won myself another visit in a month to recheck my blood pressure and a visit to the lab for blood work. It was pretty embarrassing that my last real check up was a year ago when I returned to the OB/GYN 6 weeks after my son was born. I have been feeling fine. In fact, I dutifully sought and received my flu shot from a pharmacy clinic last fall. I do, however, need to be revaccinated with the mumps vaccine. Bottom line is, even though I put the kids' health before mine, making and keeping all of their pediatrician and specialty appointments, I need to pay attention to my own, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment