Thursday, April 23, 2009

What is Plan A for teens?

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) will agree to let 17 year-olds buy Plan B (aka "the morning after pills" or emergency contraception) over-the-counter if the drug company files an application, or request, for this age group. The treatment is not just one pill, but two that must be taken within 72 hours for it to be at most 89% effective in preventing a pregnancy. Of note, it does not prevent sexually transmitted diseases (STD's). Teens will also have to ask for it at the pharmacy counter. The cost? Anywhere between $35 to $60. Not inexpensive.

As a pharmacist, I can see how some of my colleagues will feel uncomfortable about selling it to a minor. If I were practicing, I would try to find out as much information as the teen would reveal so that I can help her make the best decision for her: to buy the pills and take it or go to the hospital for further care.

As a mother, well, my daughter is only 3, but if she were 17, I'd openly educate her about it and encourage her to keep me in the loop about these issues. I know, easier said than done and I won't know until I'm there. "If Plan A fails, go to Plan B" is the company's motto. I think I might want to know what a teenager's Plan A is. For now, I can only teach her to communicate openly with me. If I can get her to be honest about whether she cut her own hair or not instead of lying, I'm going in the right direction.

What are your thoughts about Plan B?

No comments:

Post a Comment