Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Go generic; it can save you lots

There are some products that just aren't the same when they are the store brand, such as toilet paper, aluminum foil, and markers, so I try not to buy them. Generic, or store brand, medications, however, I trust. The FDA vouches that they are as safe and effective as the brand name versions. I buy generic whenever it is available. Many practitioners and patients may find that biological products (hormone injections) and some drugs (medicines for seizure control) that require specific blood levels of the drug may not be interchangeable. Work with the doctor and pharmacist; switching from a brand to a generic medicine may require more careful (frequent) monitoring of the blood level of the drug. If the medicine produces the same outcome, it will be a huge cost savings in the long run if you need this medicine long-term. For instance, yesterday I refilled my daughter's fluoride tablets. The last time I got the prescription, I paid $9.99 for 120 tablets. Of course, my insurance does not cover vitamins or supplements. This time it was a different generic company, but I got an even better deal: $3.99 for 120 tablets. They are purple and taste better, according to my daughter. That's great, because she was starting to try to refuse her medicine. Of note, generic products may look and taste different, but as long as the main ingredients (for example, acetaminophen or loratadine) and strength (mg or %) are the same, you're getting the same medicine. Hey, I just saved $6!

When I was still at the Children's Hospital at Montefiore, I wrote this piece about generic medicines for them. Please feel free to leave me comments if you have any questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment